My attention was drawn to a post dominating the timelines of most Gh music lovers on Social media with staggering tall lists of songs released by the Ice Cream Shop hitmaker, Shatta, the Champion Wale.
According to the list, Wale has released a mammoth 107 tracks in 2016. Being a follower of the Movement, I was very pleased to be associated with such an otherworldly stride.
However, my knowledge as far as Shatta’s releases are concerned forbade me from accepting the claims of the list hook, line and sinker. Thus, I began analysing the list and subjected it to the Shatta 2016 folder I had created on my Pentium M desktop prior to the commencement of 2016 musical year.
I found at that:
1. Some of the songs captured as 2016 releases were actually released at the tail end of 2015. Such songs are: ‘Fuufuukwa’, ‘Gi Mi’ and ‘My Star Sign’.
2. ‘Am Da One’ is an earlier year release, perhaps, 2012. The Dancehall Messiah just reposted that track this year.
3. Others too like ‘Road Sign’ and ‘Tornado’ are yet to be released by the unmatchable African Dancehall King.
4. The list also features ‘Finished’, a song with over 100% presence of Wale but owned by DJ Manni.
5. Most Shatta Movement fans believe in numbers, hence, the tagging of over 100 tracks to his credit, with more than a godly assurance that their boss can deliver.
As a result of my earnest findings,I would state on record that, Shatta Wale has released 93 solid songs with close to 20 hits (my next publication will reveal that). Reaching and perhaps, extending the 100 track mark isn’t a feat Wale finds so ‘goliathing’ and militating.
Having overachieved such a mark in times past, I think Wale is still in the business of feeding fans with multiple hits and good songs. It will be too early to draw curtains on any statistics so far as the year is not over yet. We all know what Wale, the Champion can do- he can release in a day what many can do in a decade. So let’s keep our fingers crossed and support the movement in diverse ways.
Remember, 93 songs (not mere mixtapes) in a year is a already a mountain of achievement, none else in the world has done or can do. It’s rather unfortunate that the world has been kept in the dark regarding the wonders of Wale. Meanwhile, there are media men in Ghana. See you in my next writeup.
Written By A Certain Nii